The True Cost of a DUI Conviction
DUI/DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired) is a serious charge that, if it leads to conviction, can devastate a person’s life. Are all drivers who are arrested for DUI criminals? Are they all guilty? Absolutely not, but they can face years of financial difficulties and other repercussions. So what is the true cost of a DUI conviction?
For a DUI defense attorney call now at 303-705-0017
We will aggressively defend you and challenge all aspects of your arrest The financial costs of your first offense DUI/DWAI conviction can be astronomical. The costs in Colorado can involve all of the following:
- Towing of your vehicle - $150
- Detox facility charges- $350
- Bail - $100
- Fine - $200
- Alcohol evaluation fee - $200
- Awareness, education and therapy - $1155
- Supervision of two years’ probation - $1200
- License reinstatement - $95
- Interlock device for car - $240 to $1440
- Community service supervision fee - $75
- MADD victim impact panel fee - $25
- Victim Assistance Fund - $78
- Victim Compensation Fund - $78
- Law Enforcement Assistance Fund - $78
- Auto insurance increase and SR-22 for 3 years - $4800
The financial costs of DUI are especially tough for those of modest means or victims of the nation’s high unemployment rate. But there’s more:
- A conviction could cost you your job if your employer has a zero-tolerance policy.
- There is a great risk of losing your license.
- Family relationships and marriages could be strained.
- You can lose respect in the community.
- You may be prevented from holding certain jobs in the future or running for public office.
The greatest cost of all is not financial; a drunken driving conviction causes great emotional pain to all involved.
Of course, it is highly recommended that you hire a defense attorney, and this will add to your costs. Fees vary depending on the specific lawyer, and whether you can afford a few hours of advice or desire a vigorous, all-out defense. A skilled lawyer can, in certain cases, get charges reduced or dropped on technical grounds. Always hire the best legal counsel you can afford.
The good news is that a handful of forward-thinking lawyers have started offering financing. Check the Internet for a local attorney who is part of this trend.
A DUI/DWAI defense attorney will aggressively investigate every minute of every event leading up to your arrest. Were you stopped for probable cause? Was the roadside sobriety test called for and was it performed properly? Was the breathalyzer tested and accurate?
It is important to choose a lawyer whose practice focuses on DUI defense, because experience and tactical excellence are what win cases. You have a lot at risk if you are charged with DUI. Do not take the “Oh well, they got me” approach to something so serious. Be proactive and retain the best DUI/DWAI attorney you can find. You cannot afford not to.
Matt Martin, Attorney, represents DUI/DWAI clients in Denver, Castle Rock, Highlands Park, Parker, Golden, Centennial, Brighton, Broomfield and Kiowa.