Denver Car Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been involved in an automobile accident and you’re facing charges of careless driving or worse, then you need an attorney as quickly as possible.
Regardless of what you were doing at the time of the crash, whether or not alcohol or other substances were involved, or who was at fault, retaining legal counsel for your case is absolutely crucial to a positive outcome.
Why is this?
The answer is simple: having a knowledgeable defense attorney at your side, fighting for your rights in court, helps to ensure that you don’t make critical mistakes that can land you with a swift conviction, suspension of our driver’s license, harsh sentencing, and possibly even jail time.
The Law Office of Matthew Martin, PC specializes in criminal defense cases involving automobile collisions. Our team knows how disruptive and costly careless driving tickets can be.
Because we’ve worked so hard to successfully defend our clients in the past, we’re confident we can do the same for you—regardless of the severity or the situation involved in your case.
You Can Get Through This. We Can Help.
When the State of Colorado is using the full power of the law to prosecute you in a criminal court, you need all the legal expertise you can get. Alternatively, defending your rights and legal interests in a civil case can be another matter altogether. Each of these situations requires a proven understanding of Colorado law in order to effectively navigate.
To have the best chances of success in your legal case, don’t trust the outcome to an attorney without an extensive track record. Denver’s premier criminal defense attorney, Matthew Martin, has been representing those involved in automobile accidents for more than 25 years, a legacy that includes numerous not guilty verdicts, lesser charges, and significantly reduced penalties.
Why Timing is So Important in Criminal Car Crash Cases
It cannot be stressed enough just how important it is to hire an attorney to represent you as quickly as possible after a car crash. The reasons for this are twofold:
- You could make mistakes that could cost you your case. Colorado laws related to car crash cases are lengthy, complex, and far-reaching. What they define as ‘damages’ or ‘injuries’ can be interpreted in many ways in a court of law.If you don’t have a qualified defense attorney working with you to strategize and act on your behalf in court, you’re running a huge risk of paying more than you should in restitution, being convicted of a crime you may not have committed, and making costly administrative errors.
- Prosecuting attorneys and the District Attorney already have the upper hand. When a police officer tickets a careless driver or makes an arrest following a car crash, there is often already a significant amount of evidence that can be used against the defendant in court.Things like accident forensics, witness testimony, and even your own statements or actions all add up, meaning your defense needs to be especially high-powered if you hope to provide adequate defense in court.
Here’s the reality: accidents happen. Lapses in judgement happen. Honest mistakes also happen. Judges and juries in both criminal and civil courts know this. However, when serious property damage and/or bodily injury occurs after a car crash in which you are being considered at fault, the People of Colorado are going to do their best to use the law to its fullest extent.
Matthew A. Martin, PC for Car Crash Case Defense
Car crashes in Colorado represent a large portion of serious injuries and deaths in our state. In fact, in 2017 alone, nearly 3,500 automobile accidents involving injuries took place in Colorado. In virtually all of these cases, court proceedings were required to prove fault, arrive at a verdict, and assign penalties, fees, and/or restitution for the guilty party.
At any point in these legal proceedings, actions can be taken by your defense attorney to help increase the chances of a favorable outcome. These actions can include:
- Challenging the assertion that you are to blame for the accident
- Using accident reconstructionist evaluations to bolster a defense
- Negotiating a fair and reasonable restitution amount that is realistic for the damages incurred
- Working with the district attorney to lessen the charges, reduce the sentence, or, in some situations, have the entire case thrown out altogether
Instead of immediately hiring an attorney to defend against a careless driving (or worse) charge, here’s what can often happen:
- A driver makes a mistake, breaks a traffic law, or in some other way causes a motor vehicle accident, resulting in significant injuries and property damage.
- Thinking it’s best to be completely transparent, the ‘at-fault’ driver admits to having made the mistake, making statements recorded by the police officers on the scene.
- The accused attempts to navigate the legal process on his own, relying on common sense and a complete lack of any understanding of Colorado law.
- The charge becomes a conviction, the sentencing is steep and unrelenting, and the defendant is forced to pay tens of thousands of dollars in restitution, in addition to serving multiple months in jail.
The above scenario doesn’t have to happen in your case. The absolute best way to insure yourself when it comes to criminal defense is to hire a competent, proven criminal defense attorney who knows the ropes. Matthew A. Martin is that attorney.
The Importance of Experience in Criminal Cases
Whether you’ve been arrested, charged with a crime, are under investigation, or your case has already made its way through the preliminary stages of a trial, it’s never too late to get a lawyer.
However, there are dozens of criminal defense attorneys licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado. So, how do you know which one to choose?
What sets Matthew Martin apart from the competition is his rock-solid, proven track record of effectively defending his clients. In situations where the stakes are highest, Matthew Martin performs at his best. This has been demonstrated repeatedly throughout his 25-year-long career of practicing law.
At the Law Offices of Matthew Martin, PC, we understand that accidents happen. We also understand that even if you are proven to be at fault in a car crash, you deserve a fighting chance when the time comes to defend yourself in court.
An Example of a Client Success Story
To help illustrate the power that Matthew Martin can have on the outcome of a criminal defense case, consider the following client success story.
When 24-year-old Brian H. (name kept anonymous) hit a car that was parked in the fast lane on the highway, tragedy struck.
Not only did Brian cause significant damage to both vehicles, but a passenger in the parked car he struck died in the accident.
Upon questioning by police, Brian admitted to having consumed cannabis earlier in the day. He did this thinking that making this statement wouldn’t incriminate him in any way. Unfortunately, he was wrong.
Brian was promptly charged with one count of vehicular homicide, one count of Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI), and he was taken to jail. At the time that all of this happened, Brian was facing the prospect of multiple years in prison combined with exorbitant compensatory fees and restitution, not to mention a significantly derailed future.
The Matthew Martin Factor
It was at this point that Brian’s mother called Matthew Martin, scheduled an in-person consultation, and took the steps necessary to bolster her son’s defense in court. Matthew Martin worked closely with Brian and explained all of his options. Matthew made himself available whenever Brian needed him, even if that meant paying visits to him at his residence.
Leveraging his vast knowledge of Colorado law pertaining to criminal car crash cases, Matthew Martin was able to convince the jury that Brian was not at-fault for the accident and was not under the influence of THC at the time of the accident. That means Brian was found not guilty of vehicular homicide and the DUI was reduced to a lesser charge. The case concluded with an exceptionally favorable outcome for Brian and his family.
Renewed Hope for the Future
Brian’s fate at the hands of the Colorado courts could have turned out very differently. The prosecuting attorney could have convinced the jury that Brian was responsible for the accident and Brian would be serving a prison sentence. Instead, Brian made the smart choice and retained Matthew Martin as his criminal defense attorney. Today, Brian is optimistic about what the future holds, and he knows that the accident he was involved in doesn’t define who he is as a person.
Take Action Today to Protect Your Future
When defending against a careless driving, vehicular homicide, or similar criminal charge, there are simply too many ways to make a life-changing mistake that can land you in jail, cost you thousands, or even classify you as a felon.
To avoid a worst-case scenario and to protect your future, you need the best criminal defense attorney Colorado can offer. You need Matthew Martin.
To schedule your case review, contact our offices today.